Tuesday 31 August 2010

Saffron Walden: Mission accomplished

I'm staying at my colleague's place in Saffron Walden, the village in England which I first went to exactly four years ago. Now the old Bell school is partly demolished and I cannot enter the site:
Main entrance, library gone

my old place of employment: completely sealed off

Tonight there's an Italian style pasta for dinner which I very much savour. Also, over the course of my stay, I enjoy three Italian-German lessons: Italian for me - German for the Italian chef :) . After dinner I go to the pub with my colleague and chat and drink for a while, then we carry on drinking in another pub. We play a round of darts (I loose twice out of two times we play) and feed the quiz machine with our pounds and don't get a sinlge quid out of it: We are doing ok, but there are always one or two questions which are simply too difficult.
This morning I go very English again: Fully cooked English breakfast. This breakfast saves me a proper lunch.
Beans, mushrooms, bacon, tomato, sausages, egg...

Finally on Monday I go to London, get myself a paper at Green Park station, lie down under Her Majesty's close supervision (lawn in Green Park next to Buckingham Palace), and learn from the paper how Pakistan cheat in cricket. Scandalous!
Arriving at Heathrow I find my flight to be delayed 50 minutes. My mood reaches rock bottom. I don't know for what reason precisely. I have been living in Cambridge for one month now. It's been a very good time and now it's all about to change - again.
Ultimately I'm content for I've done everything which I set out for: I've got my English bank account now, I found a very nice falt share in Birmingham, I earned a reasonable amount of money, I made a couple of new friends. What else could there be?

No comments:

Post a Comment