Sunday 8 August 2010

Work that doesn't feel like it

Yesterday I accompanied a trip to Ely which is just about a 15 minute train journey from CAmbridge. If you want to find more about Ely, you can click on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ely .
I went to the restaurant "The Lamb" and my boss ordered tea for the two of us. We let two copies the Guardian entertain us, occasionally dropping in bits of very enjoyable small talk.
I didn't get back on the coaches for I was going to meet a the very same friend of mine who works at the Cambridge University Press. We met down the riverside in a pub called "The Cutter Inn". I was very impressed by these typical English house boats anchoring just a few metres away. I ordered a portion of Fish and Chips accompanied by mushy pies. Here's an idea of the size of my fish:
I don't think they used them for FishnChips, though.
The above beauties were swimming in a pond in frond of the Cambridge University press.
I went back on a train to Cambridge. There were a couple of lads singing a few rock classics as well as other songs on the train. Getting themselves into the mood for a night out, drinking alc, too.

Today I get up at 7 am in the morning which I find very hard. I'm still slightly shaky, when I stagger downstairs to breakfast in the great hall. It's the London trip day today, and I have to give a guided coach tour through the cities of London and Westminster. I give out maps of the London city centre on the coach that is due to arrive in London around 10:30am. Then I go through my notes again to make sure that I don't fuck my guided tour up, being a novice on that. It turns out to be all right. I now feel very relieved that I've done it :)
I've been to London quite a few times now, but this time I haven't got anything to do on my mind, really. I wander around and came across this really ... interesting bookshop near Aldwych: It is a bookshop with books on Vodoo, Witchcraft, Yoga, Healing power of herbs, Vampires, and similar... they also sell incense sticks.
Being still a bit bewildered from that recent experience I luckily find a Waterstone's with decent books. I get myself "A Florentine Death" by Michele Guittari, a sandwich and three bananas at a Tesco Express near Convent Garden. I stroll down to St. James' park and lie down on the grass. A few minutes later I am fast asleep. I only realise that I've been sleeping nearby Her Majesty's Residence Buckingham Palace, when a light British summer rain sets in. I then escape into the National Gallery in which I've never been before. At 5pm sharp I gather my teacher group nod them towards the coach and leave London. Isn't this a rather pleasant way to earn money?

No comments:

Post a Comment